Bookmark and Share

General Discussion

Interference between two Kinect units?
3 replies [Last post]
Amit Shoham
Level 4: Thaumaturgist

Has anyone tried to use two Kinect units simultaneously in the same room?  Since Kinect projects "structured light" in order to generate a depth-field, I imagine that two or more Kinect units would interfere with each other.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Scott Gardner
Scott Gardner's picture
Level 9: Necromancer

Amit, from the video, it seems to work just fine.  I'm surprised that the structured light didn't get confused by beams from the other Kinect.  Even with the 2nd Kinect, the back side of the 3D object is still "hollow" on that side.  Apparently, it would take even more camera views to be able to rotate the scene completely around a 3D object.

Amit Shoham

Yes, I was also a bit surprised at how well it worked.  Still, calibration of the two kinects to each other was required, apparently.  I suspect that two different Kinect-based applications in the same room would fail.  So, for example, two robots that each use a Kinect to navigate would not be able to operate in the same room at the same time--unless they communicated somehow in order to work around the interference.

Amit Shoham

Looks like I've found the answer to my own question :)

http://kinecthacks.net/two-kinects-at-once/

Apparently it's possible to use two Kinects together in the same application, to provide two different views of the same scene.